Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The American Museum at Bath, UK

 As well as Kaffe Fassett's "A World of Colour" exhibition at this museum they also have a wonderful range of antique quilts on display. They are hanging in display frames and covered by glass so it's not possible to get straight on views of them all as you have to swing open the quilt hangers to see each one. I was able to wait until most of the visitors have gone to get some better photos but the fan in front of the huge Baltimore Album quilt was impossible to mask. lol The quilts ranged from the mid to late 1800s and up to the 1950s and 1960s.

 Some of them were displayed on beds top their advantage.
 One of several of Kaffe Fassett's quilts which were hanging in the stairwell.
 A 1930s charmer with appliqued flowers.


Another of Kaffe's quilts hanging in the stairwell.



 This hexagon top was interesting as the quilter had pieced some of the hexagons in just 3 pieces by cutting the hexagons joined together and then quilting seam lines. I'm not sure you will understand what I mean and will try to find better photos when I have time. My photos have uploaded on my computer out of chronological order and I haven't had time to fix it yet.
Apart from the fan this was a stunning quilt in pristine condition. I was in quilter's heaven to be surrounded by so much quilty inspiration from the Kaffe Fassett as well as the antique quilts on display. I was disappointed to find that the Victoria and Albert Museum in London no longer have quilts on display as they are now stored at Blythe House and have to be requested for viewing, so I was very happy to have so much quilty loveliness at Bath.
 More to come soon.
Love, Jan Mac

No comments: