Saturday, January 11, 2014

Applique Progress

 I am having trouble taking a photo of my Mrs Williams quilt now as it has grown so big. I just have one more border of Square in a Square blocks and then the triangle border to attach to the whole quilt. I had planned to finish it today and then baste it and start quilting it tomorrow. Unfortunately the weather is now extremely hot and it's going to get worse next week so I'm going to have to work on it early in the morning before it gets too hot.
 Instead I started work on my second quilt that I want to finish by mid March so I can show it in our first exhibition of applique. It consists of 4 pieced and 5 appliqued blocks and then a pieced border.
The quilt is a Michelle Yeo pattern based on an 1800s quilt. I've chosen to make it in modern colours rather than my usual reproduction fabric as a change in style. While it's so hot I think my hand stitching will be more pleasant to work on than quilting a large and hot quilt. I hope the weather cools down again soon as it will be hard to sleep during the day when I'm working nights and also hard to get the quilts finished. I never have a lack of hand stitching I can do luckily.
Hugs, Jan Mac

4 comments:

Every Stitch said...

Sarah's wreath looks fun to construct with piecing and appliqué together - stunning reds you have chosen. Good luck with your deadline!
Hilda

Amy said...

WOW! This quilt has pulled me out from my hiding spot in the corner; I read all your posts..... and this quilt.....WOW! Simply WOW!

Maria said...

Your Mrs Williams quilt is looking fabulous Jan .
Look forward to seeing the rest of your lovely appliquéd blocks too.

Sue SA said...

Wow Mrs Williams is looking very impressive and I love your hand appliqued blocks! Not looking forward to this week of 40C, but feel sorry for you if you have to work nights as well. Good luck!