Thursday, December 13, 2012

I Can't Stop Starting

 I know that making more UFOs or having more Works in Progress is not the way to clean up the sewing room but sometimes I just like to try new patterns to see how they look. This pattern is from the latest Quilt Sampler magazine (Fall/Winter 2012) and I just couldn't resist stitching some of my many scraps together, especially as I have just purchased a 60 degree triangle ruler.The pattern is called Stars and Strings and was designed by Brendalou Scott of Scottie Dog Quilts in California. It goes together very quickly and I made all of these blocks in about an hour. I'll use a plain cream for the triangles between the stars but will probably have more stars than plain triangles. I never seem to have many pale scraps so using the cream will give a good contrast with all the bright scraps.
   I did find another UFO project which had stalled and decided to join the blocks together and make a large cushion cover for my DD's reading area cushions. She's a school teacher and I have made large cushions for her students to use on the classroom floor and it's time for some new covers. I'll use a plain fabric for the back of the cushion and I have some more kid's prints to make some more covers as well so that will be one UFO off the list. I used a pattern from Bonnie at Quiltville and I just need to remove the paper before I finsih sewing the cushion cover.
  I also received a beautiful set of QAYG blocks from Delys Rogers of WA. I will be making them up into a quilt ASAP but due to being tired from night shift I don't want to operate heavy machinery like my industrial sewing machine in case I run over my fingers.
  I have also made good progress on hand piecing the Sunflower blocks so although I'm still starting new projects I am finishing others or re-purposing them so they are off the UFO list.
How is everyone else doing on their UFO list? I hope to make onbe more QAYG quilt tomorrow and send off a large box of quilts to donate.
Hugs, Jan Mac



1 comment:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I know what you mean about having a ton of projects that need to be finish, but wanting or needing to start new ones. I have over 50 UFO's, WIP's, PhD's and have a bucket list of just as many I want to start NOW! But I am being good, and telling myself I have to finish 2 to be able to start 1 more. This way I can get that number under control. 2013 will be my year to get some finishes done.