Friday, September 30, 2011

A Special Delivery


We had a new member of the family making a very early arrival this week and how else to celebrate but to make him a quilt.
He's 10 weeks early but Mum and baby, Myles, are both doing well and after spending a few weeks in a Melbourne hospital he will be transferring to a hospital nearer to home.
I hope his parents like his new quilt as it has Peter Rabbit designs and cute baby animals on the fabric as well as some brighter blue for contrast.
I used my "Around the Block" book by Judy Hopkins, and enlarged a 12 inch block to 24". Firstly I deducted 1/2 inch from all the pieces, then doubled the size and added a 1/2 inch on again for the seam allowance.
It probably sounds like it's confusing but basically when the pattern asked for a 4 inch square, I took it to mean 3.5 inches without seam allowance. Then I doubled the size to 7 inches to make the block twice as large and then added on 1/2 an inch for seam allowance again.
It was an easy way to make a baby quilt and the pattern is called Rising Star. I added a border to make the quilt larger and added the lighter squares in the corners of the border so the bright blue wouldn't be too over-powering.
I will make a larger quilt for Myles when he grows enough to return home with his parents but wanted him to have his own quilt to distract from the medical paraphernalia while he's in hospital.
He was in a big hurry to get here and I hope he doesn't take life head-on all the time or his parents will be worn out. LOL Welcome little Myles!!
Hugs, Jan Mac

3 comments:

willywagtail said...

It looks like the right size for such a little tyke. Lucky Mum to have one made so promptly. Hope all goes well for them. Cherrie

Maria said...

Oh Jan you are a marvel. I am sure Myles and his Mum and /Dad will love his wee quilt.

Lynne said...

Congratulations to the new parents and welcome baby Myles. That's a lovely quilt to warm a little one.