Saturday, January 15, 2011

Today's Finish

Thank you all so much for helping me to get the word out about making quilts for the people in Queensland who lost their homes to the devastating floods. I'll show all the quilts I finish and donate on my other blog Oz Comfort Quilts and on this blog I show the donated blocks that arrive as well as my daily work on the quilts.
Yesterday I finished off the lovely quilt in pinks and greens with the blocks that Kaite and her mother, Coralie, made. It will be treasured by a lady and it's very feminine. I'll show that on the other blog.
Today I found a UFO that I had started almost 2 years ago. It was started at a class on piecing curved seams with Beth Miller. I was always intending to donate it but never got it finished. I found it yesterday while I was looking for more strings for the QAYG blocks. I'd only made 3 blocks and they measured about 16" square. I also had 4 QAYG blocks made to 12.25" donated and decided to adapt my UFO and make some more blocks to match these 4 blocks. I made 16 blocks to day and did get the quilt finished. It's in lovely bright colours and will warm a child's heart. I win too because it emptied another bag of strings and it allowed me to cross off a UFO too. Tonight I've been making more QAYG blocks at the 10.5" size and I'm working on some in "boy's" fabric to match the ones that Terry sent me this week.
It's lovely to see that so many volunteers have turned out to start cleaning up in Brisbane after the floods and I hope that they can last the distance as there were 12,000 houses submerged and another 15,000 with water through them. The mind boggles at comprehending those sort of figures and now we have had flood alerts and towns being evacuated in Victoria. Luckily our river hasn't risen too high yet and the sun was out today so it helped to dry some of our wet paddocks.
More later, Hugs Jan Mac

1 comment:

kaiteM said...

good work Jan, but don't work yourself to the bone, you need to be able to last the distance also.
I'll be posting off another 35 or more blocks to you on Monday, little girl's ones this time.
take care, kaite