Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The First of Many


There has been a challenge to make one million pillowcases and donate them to various charities. I think it was first mentioned on Better Homes and Gardens but that good be incorrect. Our lovely Heartstrings leader, Mary, put up a very good tutorial on how to make them on her blog at http://maryquilts.com
I'm going to make some for Quilts of Valour which Alycia, another Heartstrings member, is co-ordinating, as well as some to donate to children at Pine Ridge Reservation.
The first one was so easy that it's going to be the first of many. I used some poly cotton I had and it will be a great way to use up some stash. I didn't add the contrasting strip mentioned in the pattern but I will if the fabrics are a bit plainer and a decorative stitch would also look good.
I've also pulled some fabric out to make tote bags to donate and I'm enjoying a change from the quilts although I did get another QAYG quilt finished today.
There has been so much positive talk about Kindles on one of my Aussie online lists that my DH has ordered one for my birthday so that will be fun to play with and I'll be able to go back to listening to books while I sew.
I'm catching up with my sister today for coffee as now that our lovely Mum has passed we try to make more time for each other and keep our families connected.
Hugs Jan Mac

3 comments:

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

Thanks for this, and well done on your pillow, Love the boldness of it. I am looking forward to checking out the tutorial and finding out more on the charity.
Happy Sewing
Sue

Maria said...

Love your pillowslip,will look at Mary's tutorial and find out more.
It is really lovely that you have cuppa's with your sis.

Beth said...

Hello! You were nominated as a Generous Crafter in our Sew,Mama,Sew! Quilting for Peace month (http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=4224). We'd like to share details about your prize but I can't seem to find your email contact info on the blog. Could you please email me at your convenience? Thanks so much, and congratulations!